US SAILING Basic Keelboat Certification Fundamental sailing lessons
This course is designed for people with little or no experience skippering keelboats, for those who have been crewing for others, but have never been in charge and even those who’ve been sailing and have never had any formal training, this course will teach you how to skipper confidently and safely.
The 4-day, 32-hour course combines short classroom sessions with hands-on experience sailing on beautiful San Francisco Bay. The Colgate 26′ sloops we use are nimble and responsive, yet stable and safe, so they encourage you to experiment, and immediately reward your successes, but importantly, they forgive the inevitable beginner’s mistakes as well. The instructors are all US SAILING and Coast Guard licensed professionals who will patiently guide you through an exciting learning adventure, culminating in your earning the USS Basic Keelboat Certification.
Topics Covered Include
- Sailing Theory
- Rigging, Hoisting and Trimming Sails
- Heading Up, Bearing Away, Coming About and Gybing
- Rules of the Road
- Aids to Navigation
- Docking and Departures Using Outboard Engines
- Crew Overboard Maneuvers
- Basic Anchoring
- Use of VHF Marine Radio
- Four Days (32 Hours) 0830 to 1630
- Short Classroom Sessions
- Extended Time On The Water
- Colgate 26′ Sloops (The only keelboat designed and built specifically for sailing instruction)
- Offered Most Weekends and Selected Weekdays at Each Location
- Classes may be split between any of our locations.
Click here to see our current specials!
Sailing experience isn’t required, but a strong desire to learn to sail safely and have fun is mandatory! This class is guaranteed!
Basic Keelboat, US SAILING
Included in cost of class.